Tuesday 30 June 2009

The Last Dance

Here I am sprawled across the hotel bed, feeling like Carrie Bradshaw in Paris...except with a huge mosquito bite on the back of my leg! attractive!
In a few hours I will be making my way to Hong Kong International Airport where I will take the 4 hour flight to Tokyo, Japan.
I still have yet to pack, I have just been trying to enjoy to the fullest what Hong Kong has all been about; Shopping and Friends!
I couldn't ask for a nicer last day, I picked up my bike from the storage unit and had a delicious lunch of Japanese tonkatsu (yeah I'm in HK but I cant resist) and a bit shopping, bagging myself a cute gray waistcoat and a little black vest. Well I needed a look for later as I would be meeting up with friends for a bit of a farewell shindig; also the following day is a public holiday which means even more partying. We had a yummy meal on the street around a wobbly table in front of a construction sight with a parked up truck to the side, was very me! We ate things like fried squid cakes and fried oyster cake and gradually drank a few glasses of beer.
after we hopped over from Causeway Bay to Wanchai where Claris knew a band that was playing a a live venue. Was A bit like being in the Vic in Swindon except the talent was much improved... i.e. men not music!
It was fun to linger around tapping my feet and nodding my head, while the cute, long haired, glasses wearing and bangle appreciating guy; jumped excitably to the band. All was good until the short girl next to me in some rented 60,s costume made eye contact with me, her mouth wide open with a look of confusing and surprise. I wonder if she knew me or something, but no..after a long pause and after finally moving on from her gormless expression she spoke the words "Your a Man!"
Excuse me!
Yes, she was amazed that I was actually a 'man' I even had my hair tied up at this point, well i took it down to show her how much more manly I can be! haha. I did make a jibe back but its not really appropriate here. Wally told me I should have said ' Oh and you look like a man' but the moment had passed. After this, she kept hovering around me like a little groupie of a drag queen. She approached me again and apologized... I said to her "Why do you need to tell me" " If I thought you look like a man, I'm not going to come up to you and say YOUR A WOMAN?" "It is rude, and you were rude"
I did feel a bit pissed off from it actually, not that there is anything wrong in looking like a woman, but this kind of thing has happened to me about 4 times in HK; the last time would have been at high school where the kids would bully me about being different. But seriously I'm an adult now, and adults should keep there opinions to themselves if it may offend someone.

OK seriously I have 40 Min's to pack and shower, I could write more as the story of last night is far from over. Will fill you in soon.

farewell Hong Kong
I'm off to Tokyo!

No comments:

Post a Comment